This interview was made possible by our friends at Guidant Financial:
The leader in alternative startup, franchise and small business financing.
Positive Living Expert Diane Lang is a Therapist, Educator and Author with an expertise in multiple health & wellness, lifestyle and parenting needs. She offers expertise on a variety of positive living topics to help others create balance and find happiness. As an expert in her field of therapy, Lang has been interviewed for numerous magazine and newspaper articles and has been a frequent guest on radio and TV shows including “Fox & Friends” on the Fox News Network. Lang is a monthly contributor for “Family Beautiful” magazine, a weekly columnist for MommyTalk.com, a regular featured expert on the “Expat Show” broadcasted weekly on the New York ABC affiliate WTBQ-AM, and a Blogger at www.MyHappyBlog.vox.com.
In addition to holding multiple counseling positions, Diane is an adjunct professor at Montclair State University and Dover Business College.
Please visit her website for more information: www.dlcounseling.com
MO: Where does your passion for helping empower and educate women come from?
Diane: It comes from my rocky past but most recently I was diagnosed with an illness that caused third degree burns on my throat. I couldn’t eat or drink much for months. I became very sick. The only thing that pulled me through is the tools that I talk about in my book. I actually had to practice what I preach.
MO: How can self-awareness be used as a tool for improving balance and happiness?
Diane: The more self-aware of your physical signs of your body the quicker you can deal with the negativity. Example: Everyone’s body reacts to stress, anxiety and anger in different ways. For a client of mine she said it was her stomach. When she felt a wave of stress and anxiety hit her, she felt like someone was wringing the insides of her stomach. When she feels the stress on her body. It’s a red flag, a warning sign that something is wrong. You can make changes before your stress becomes too much.
Also, being aware of your passions in life will help you follow your right path; it will help you pick the right career and overall make good choices.
MO: What are three practical tips for living a more positive life?
Diane: 1. Are your basic needs met? Keep a journal for a week. I call this the “Journal of Truth.” For one week write down everything you eat, how much sleep, how much water you drank, exercise, etc. After a week you can look over your journal and see what’s going on? We can’t be happy and balanced if our basic needs aren’t met.
2. Gratitude checks – Happiness is about perspective. Is the glass half full or empty? The choice is yours. By starting each morning with gratitude it puts you in a positive state of mind. So, every morning wake up and start your day with a gratitude check – take 2-3 minutes to remind yourself what you’re grateful for.
3. Pay it forward – Every time we do a random act of kindness we get an instant boost of happiness that can last 24-72 hours. So every time we help someone it becomes a win-win situation. The person you helped feels better and you feel happier for helping someone.
MO: Can you talk about the concept behind Positive Parenting?
Diane: Positive parenting is based on being a role model for your kids. Kids are visual learners. They learn through your actions at a very early age. 60% of our personality is inherited but the other 40% is learned. Teach your kids the personality traits you want them to have through your actions such as kindness, patience, warmth, caring, respect for yourself and others, etc. We can teach our kids by being a great role model.
MO: What are some strategies or insights for mothers who have been staying at home but are ready to go back to their career or start a new one?
Diane: When making the decision of either going back to work or changing your position from full-time to part-time or working from home, etc. Always ask yourself one question: What will make you happy? Happy mom = Happy kids. If you’re happy your kids will be happy. So, your decision has to be based on your happiness. Kids learn by your actions. So, if you stay home and think you’re doing the right thing by being a stay at home mom but you’re miserable everyone will see it. Emotions/moods are contagious so be as happy as you can be.
MO: You’re currently in the process of writing your third book. Can you share the inspiration behind it and how it’s different than previous books you’ve published?
Diane: My next book is inspired by my illness and learning to live in the moment. An “aha moment” for me when I was sick: I was learning to accept where I was at the moment and realize I didn’t have control over my illness and that was okay. Once I truly accepted where I was at that moment everything changed. I want to help people live in the now!
Find the right Domain Name for your business at Fabulous.com!